“It can be liberating to get fired because
you realize that the world doesn’t end.
There’s other ways to make money,
– Ron Livingston
Employee termination can be a sensitive subject but as a leader, it is one which you need to be prepared for. Sometimes it just does not work out. Not all employees are meant to stay with your organization forever and that is ok. Just note that regardless of the reasons you need to treat the person with respect and dignity. These core principles will help guide you through this potentially emotionally-charged situation.
This is where my guest for this episode comes to play. Alison Gerlach is a strategic management consultant, podcaster, instructor with extensive experience with large organizations. She brings a skill set which is not easily found. Since she has a great understanding of employee termination and therefore, I had to have her on the show. Here are the topics which we cover during this interview:
- What is the overall ideology behind addition through subtraction
- How can we recognize that there is a problem
- What can leaders do to try to salvage the employee
- How leaders can instill confidence in remaining employees after a termination
- What leaders need to consider when executing a termination
- Final advice for any leader dealing with having to terminate an employee
If you are interested in contacting Alison or any of the resources which she provides, then be sure to check them out below!
- The Unapologetic Capitalist Website
- The Unapologetic Capitalist Podcast Episode 21
- Email Alison
- Follow Alison on Twitter
- Like Alison on Facebook
- Connect with Alison on LinkedIn
Moving Forward Leadership ResourcesKeep on top of Moving Forward Leadership with all the resources which I have established for you, free of charge:
- Moving Forward Leadership Resources - Check out the Moving Forward Leadership Resources section where I list every single resource mentioned on the show. As well, there are books which I have read written or read personally and finally various types of services which I use and recommend.
- The 9 Foundations of Leadership – I’ve written this ebook for you all to get a base of your leadership skills. With this book, you will be able to begin to form your leadership style. For a small fee, you can get your journey started and get ahead of your peers! Just follow the link in the title, and your copy awaits you!
- Facebook Page – Check out updates from Moving Forward Leadership, as well when links and videos.
- Facebook Group – Come and let’s discuss leadership. I will swing by and answer any questions you have as well as provide advice and guidance for your situations.
- Twitter – Definitely subscribe here to find out when new episodes go live, or if I have a random idea to share with the world.
- Monthly Newsletter – Sign up for my newsletter and see what is happening in the background with me, read the most interesting articles in leadership, as well as get inside information from time-to-time on what I have upcoming!
- Email – Don’t hesitate to reach out to me with ideas, suggestions, comments or questions. I truly love hearing from you all!