There are no other leadership lessons which are in comparison than those which are learned on the front lines. The Royal Marines of the UK’s armed forces know all too well this lesson. Military leaders are trained to think quickly, be decisive, and most importantly the importance of taking care of their soldiers. All leadership traits which apply as much in service as out of service.
Rod Yapp is a former Royal Marine Officer and the founder of Leadership Forces, a program that takes the high performance principles of the Royal Marines and applies it to leadership development. Rod has exemplified leadership on the front lines (literally) in Afghanistan and Libya and now uses that experience in order to develop leaders within organizations such as Land Rover, HSBC, and NATO.
Lead like a Royal Marine Topics
During this interview, Roderic and I discuss the following topics:
- What the Royal Marines taught him of leadership
- How his first bosses were great mentors
- How subordinates can mentor a leader
- What leadership lessons he learned from his deployments to Afghanistan and Libya
- Mental Models which leaders can use
- What civilian leaders can learn from military leaders
If you are interested in learning more about Roderic and his resources then be sure to check out the following links: