The most powerful leadership tool you have is your own personal example.
– John Wooden
In 2018, I celebrated my 35th birthday and of those 35 years, I have been exercising leadership for over 20 of them. During my time, I have learned a large number of leadership lessons and decided to do a podcast episode solely dedicated to these lessons.
The lessons have definitely not come easy though. I have made mistakes, I have stumbled, and I have even failed as a leader. But the main difference between being a leader and acting like one is learning from those mistakes. My father taught me that lessons and to this day it is the most important leadership lesson that I have learned. Frankly, it is even beyond this list which I complied. So below you will find them but listen to my explanation of them
My 35 Leadership lessons from 35 years of life
- Don’t judge by age
- The top doesn’t have to be lonely
- Accountability leads to increased morale
- Make professional development a priority
- Delegation is a super tool
- Get away from your desk
- Trust immediately
- Dream big
- The status quo is never an option
- Embrace change
- Love your people
- Be the calming force
- Communication is the end all be all
- Get or keep fit
- Take breaks
- Build close relationships
- Failures are your fault
- Success is because of your people
- Focus on what you can change
- Make yourself a priority
- Recognize the everyday
- Be vulnerable
- Question down
- Answer up
- Good leaders retain great people
- Not everyone will be happy
- Plan to quit
- Read more
- Explain decisions
- Support your peers and boss
- Recognize when to pick up tasks
- Respect is guaranteed
- Trust but verify
- Know your strengths and weaknesses
- Leadership is for everyone
Moving Forward Leadership ResourcesKeep on top of Moving Forward Leadership with all the resources which I have established for you, free of charge:
- Moving Forward Leadership Resources - Check out the Moving Forward Leadership Resources section where I list every single resource mentioned on the show. As well, there are books which I have read written or read personally and finally various types of services which I use and recommend.
- The 9 Foundations of Leadership – I’ve written this ebook for you all to get a base of your leadership skills. With this book, you will be able to begin to form your leadership style. For a small fee, you can get your journey started and get ahead of your peers! Just follow the link in the title, and your copy awaits you!
- Facebook Page – Check out updates from Moving Forward Leadership, as well when links and videos.
- Facebook Group – Come and let’s discuss leadership. I will swing by and answer any questions you have as well as provide advice and guidance for your situations.
- Twitter – Definitely subscribe here to find out when new episodes go live, or if I have a random idea to share with the world.
- Monthly Newsletter – Sign up for my newsletter and see what is happening in the background with me, read the most interesting articles in leadership, as well as get inside information from time-to-time on what I have upcoming!
- Email – Don’t hesitate to reach out to me with ideas, suggestions, comments or questions. I truly love hearing from you all!